Adolf Gygi was a visionary and Swiss businessman. He was a graduate in chemistry and began his industrial history at the cement factory in Laufen (Switzerland) in the early twentieth century. He became its director until 1913. On February 15, 1912 he founded the cement company Aargauischen Portlandcement-Fabrik in Holderbank (Switzerland).
In parallel, after taking over the family’s brick company, Ernst Schmidheiny, son of a family of industrialists, founded the cement factory Zementfabrik Rüthi AG.
In 1914, due to the decline in construction due to the First World War, a merger strategy occurred between companies. The cement company Zementfabrik Holderbank-Wildegg AG was born from that merger.
From the hand of Ernst Schmidheiny and later from his family, Holderbank Cement would get his greatest industrial boost.
In 1922 the company began its internationalization process first in Europe, then Africa and the Middle East.
In 2001 Holderbank changed its name to Holcim, as it was commonly confused with a bank.
Holcim is currently controlled by the merger LafargeHolcim
*In picture: Adolf Gygi (right up), Ernst Schmidheiny (right down).